6.2.12

And so it continues...

Wow.  What a whirlwind of a week and a half.  
I am so sorry for the lack of updates:  my first week here I had no access to internet except for the kindness of my missionary teacher and friend, Candy.  Thank you for letting me send some much needed e-mail!
Finally, the internet is working (however slow it may be… remember, we are on Dominican time here). 
Where do I begin?  Ah, well; Onzy. 


Onzy seems to have adapted very well to Caribbean life.  With temperatures consistently in the balmy 20s, he has been getting his tan on.  I have never seen my bear so bronzed.



He has been a great companion for me to snuggle with during my first few days here.  For those of you who were in touch with me during the first 3 or 4 days in the DR, thank you so much for your support and kind encouragement.  Homesickness is tough, but God truly got me through it.  You should know that he used each and every one of you as an answer to prayer.  I have never appreciated my community so much.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart!


I want to let Carmen and Rev. Rick know that I have not forgotten about you!  I found these two kind Christians in the Miami airport.  I overheard them discussing the missions trip they have just been on to Colombia, and was waiting for them to comment on my having both the Bible and Bruxy Cavey's The End of Religion at my place setting.  We have a great conversation, and again, I thank God for the encouragement and companionship that God provided to me through them.  I am praying for your ministry in Minnesota!


So, where do I live?


My permanent address is in the border town of Dajabon, Dominican Republic.  About a ten minute walk east, and I am in Haiti.  This is a photo of the drive way leading back into Candy's (and my) apartment.  It is a little haven!  Peaceful, quiet, simple (other than the constant noise from motor bikes and neighbours - Dominicans are L-O-U-D).


This is Candy.  She is the missionary that I am working with and learning from.  God has blessed me beyond belief, because - well, I mean, look at her! - she is awesome.  Could he have chosen anyone else so ideal?


Market Day
This land is incredible fertile.  The produce is remarkable!!  It's just a shame that you have to soak everything in Clorox before you eat it…  



Casava Bread
I am learning to enjoy this Caribbean delicacy….





Donya Colma! 
(ny = enya, you know what I mean)
  She is the lovely lady who owns the mini-market down the street from our home.  She is a lovely lady whom I can trust.  She is even helping me learn my numbers!



(baby mangos!)


(bigger mangos!!)


This is the Haitian and DR border on market day.  This is THE craziest day to try and get in and out of either countries.  Haitians come in the hundreds to buy products for resell in Haiti.  You see, all imports and exports go through Port au Prince, the nations capital (and epicentre of the earthquake).  However, the nation has terrible infrastructure, and even if they had quality roads, there is little to no organized transportation system. This poses as a problem for the North, the place where we work and live.  How do people in the North have access to products and food?  DR import.  The Dominican makes a killing off of Haitians who come and buy products for resell in Haiti.
Good for the DR economy,
  bad for Haitian economy.
And that's not even all of it…




People load up these HUGE make-shift wagons - LOAD up!  They are so dangerous and often people are injured and even killed by these ginormous wagons.  What happens when they go down a hill and there are people in the way?  There are no breaks, and people do get hurt.



I just thought this place looked cool…  Dominican lumber yard.


Me, chilly.  There was a breeze… 


School kids slide their hands underneath the school gates with a coin in their hand, and street food artists trade their coins for fresh empanadas or some other deep fried dough stuffed with something.  It's hilarious because you see all of these little brown hands fluttering at the bottom of the gate!   


This is my bedroom.  I keep the prayer quilt on my bed (even though it's flannel), so I am covered in prayer while I dream.  Again, I cannot thank my community enough for all that you are.  God has truly blessed me.


A view from the hallway,


my closet, and bathroom entry,


view from my ensuite from my bed… mission work, so daunting...


my shower


As you can see, I am well tacked care of here.  Although it may seem like luxury, there is no water pressure and NO hot water.  April 22 = shower.


A kiss for Canada before I left for Haiti!  Feb. 5 I got back from my first visit in Haiti.  Thursday I am planning to post all the photos and stories from that unforgettable experience.  
(SO MUCH CULTURE SHOCK ALL THE TIME!)


These are some photos of Onzy preparing for Haiti...


…he was careful to make sure I had everything that I needed.

So all, I am great.  
This is where God needs me.  I am learning more than I ever imagined.  I am experiencing more than ever expected.  I am being humbled more every experience.  I am growing more everyday moment.
What a beautiful thing.
Thank you for supporting me to get here.  I know this is where God needs me, and I will stay the course.

This is a project I have begun on my bedroom wall.  It's a quote from my favourite book, from one of my favourite chapters.

"Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honouring each other.  Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically." 
- Romans 12:10-11


I will be sure to keep you posted on all projects.

I love you all so much, but more importantly, God loves us!!
Please keep in touch, and ask questions.  I am a little overwhelmed with experiences, so ask away and the stories may come flooding out.   There is so much to share!  
Until Thursday?

In Love,
Haleigh

4 comments:

  1. thinking of you, always! and beyond. next week, as we prep for v's (not your birthday, tho you are by far, sweeter), we're watching a doc about haiti: 'Feb. 9th, 6:30 p.m. at the Midland Public Library, The Price of Sugar. Narrated by Paul Newman: in the Dominican Republic, a tropical island-nation, tourists flock to pristine beaches unaware that a few miles away thousands of dispossessed Haitians have toiled under armed-guard on plantations harvesting sugarcane, much of which ends up in U.S. kitchens. They work grueling hours and frequently lack decent housing, clean water, electricity, education or healthcare. "The Price of Sugar" follows Father Christopher Hartley, a charismatic Spanish priest, as he organizes some of this hemisphere's poorest people to fight for their basic human rights. This film raises key questions about where the products we consume originate and at what human cost they are produced.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words in this post. We made it back to Minnesota and are back at work. I'm already drumming up money needed to complete the school in Vista Hermosa, and beginning to organize the next couple of trips. One is to be college students, one a handful of ESL teachers. I am ordering a copy of Cavey's book which you so highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sweet friend! The pictures are great! It is so neat to be able to visualize where you are living and working. Looking forward to your post-Haiti journal! Praying! xoxo

    ReplyDelete