14.2.10

Joyeuse Anniversaire!



Hey everyone!
So seventeen feels no different from 16, just that now I am one year closer to being an adult which is A) pretty significant, and B) pretty terrifying.
Today was so wonderful! Today we went to the home of one of my older brother's girlfriends home in Nancray, a town just outside of Besancon. Just like everywhere I have been so far, I was welcomed with open and gracious arms. I have not many a single snobby person- although I was only in Paris for half a day and even still a train station at that. 
I truly got to experience a French party... gathering... thing. The French take hours to eat one meal at a table when they have company. In Canada we usually have our social food while we mingle and talk, which is the same as the French. Then we have our meal which is typically one course, next desert, and then we retire to the living room. Not so with the French. First, we have the "apperatif", then the first course, which is either quiche or soup. Then comes the main course with is mainly chicken or fish with potatoes or pasta and cabbage or something veggie-ish. Then the liqueur comes out and the taste testing begins. Next we have the cheese, bread, salad, and wine. After that desert- which today was cake...mmmm. Wheat Free cake (I'm so spoiled!)! After that -yes, there is more!- coffee, espresso, and tea are served and little chocolates, sugar cubes, and shots of different liquor are enjoyed. This takes about 7 hours at the table- and there is never a lack of conversation. The table is a constant flurry of discussion which is enjoyable to partake in but just as equally enjoyable to observe.
I will never forget this birthday and have photos of our gathering below- taken with my new Coolpix camera that was given to me by Solenne, John, and Sabine (when I said I was spoiled, I really meant it!!)! 
Thank you to everyone who made this day so special and wonderful for me- including my parents- I will never forget it!


Me opening my new camera.

Sabine, half of Grand-pere's head, and I. I am wearing the scarf that was given to me by my Grand-parents.

Us all eating at the table.

Solenne and the big pen. Dangerous combination.

A view of Nancray from the front window.

Me being...special...

Us driving to Besancon to see the new home of Anne and Seb.

Sebastien and Anne in their little apartment.

The cute kitchen! (This one is for you, Mummy!)




No comments:

Post a Comment